Seven Good Reasons to Plan Your Funeral Now
Talking about death tends to make us uncomfortable. But since it’s inevitable for everyone, we believe that planning a funeral in advance is a wise thing to do.
Did you know that family members are faced with over 88 decisions they must make shortly after a death occurs? That’s a lot of pressure for your loved ones to contend with on top of their grief and despair. Funeral pre-planning avoids this situation and allows you to rest easy. In this article, we’ll share seven more good reasons to overcome the hesitancy and consider planning your funeral now.
- It’s a wonderful gift to your loved ones. Planning a funeral is a massive undertaking for grieving family members who are physically and emotionally exhausted. It can be hard to think clearly or make rational decisions. When some or all of the funeral planning has been done in advance, the burden of making rapid, costly choices at a challenging time is eased. Reducing the stress for your distraught loved ones is thoughtful gift indeed.
- You get to have it your way. Most people like to feel in control over the decisions that affect them, and that includes end-of-life choices. It can be a great comfort to know that your chosen type of disposition, location and funeral details will be honored when the time comes. It’s important to note that funeral preplanning doesn’t necessarily require prepayment.
- Choose as many details as you like. Your funeral plan is fully customizable. It can include many particulars or just a few; the choice is always yours. Some things you might consider in your plan include:
• Traditional funeral and burial or cremation services
• Viewing, wake or reception
• Location (funeral home, place of worship, cemetery)
• Religious/spiritual ceremony or secular gathering
• Specific readings, music for service
• Donation requests in lieu of flowers; memorial contributions
• Special requests
- You can shop around. You shop around for all your other big ticket items, so shouldn’t you do the same for your funeral provider? When you give yourself the time necessary to plan your funeral in advance, it gives you the opportunity to compare funeral homes to make certain you’ve found the right one for you.
- It lessens the likelihood of family conflict. In most families, differing opinions abound. Factor in the intense emotions that come with the passing of a loved one and you’ve got the recipe for some serious squabbles. Advance funeral planning documents your wishes and provides a guideline to be followed, reducing the chance of disputes.
- You’ll have peace of mind. Knowing that your final wishes will be carried out and you won’t leave your family with the stress of planning your funeral will take a load off your mind. Your loved ones will have the time to grieve properly, and that can be very satisfying.
- You can start right now. During this time of uncertainty due to COVID-19, we are working hard to maintain the health and safety of our clients and staff members. Online or over the phone, we’re still here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We offer a combination of robust virtual resources such as Zoom and Skype to assist you with every aspect of the funeral pre-planning process.
We understand that planning your own funeral can be an emotional conversation. Our goal is to make you as comfortable as possible and make the decision-making process easier. Our staff is always available to answer any questions you may have, and you are always welcome to contact us.
About Vaughn Greene Funeral Services: For more than 20 years, Vaughn Greene Funeral Services has been providing a ministry of care to Baltimore’s African American community. As a leading local, minority- and family-owned provider, we promise to provide our highest level of service and respect to families who entrust us to honor their loved one. For more information, please call us at 410.655.0015 or visit us online at https://vaughncgreene.com/.