It’s Apple Season!
Sunday, November 12, 2017
We’ve all heard the saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, but just what makes this tasty fall fruit so special?
It turns out, the apple is a nutritional powerhouse packed with some impressive health benefits:
- Apples contain almost no fat, sodium, or cholesterol.
- They’re high in Vitamin C, a powerful natural antioxidant that boosts the body's resistance against infectious agents.
- Apples contain B-complex vitamins (riboflavin, thiamin, and vitamin B-6). These vitamins are important in maintaining red blood cell counts and keeping the nervous system healthy.
- Apples are rich in polyphenolic compounds. These phytonutrients help protect the body from the detrimental effects of free radicals.
- Eating apples is linked to reduced risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. This may also be due to their high polyphenol antioxidant content.
- They’re high in fiber. A high fiber diet can help prevent the development of certain diseases and may keep the amount of bad cholesterol in your blood from rising.
- The apple’s wealth of fiber can also keep you feeling full for longer without consuming a lot of calories. A medium-sized piece of fruit contains a mere 90 calories.
- They contain important minerals such as calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.
- Apples are extremely rich in important antioxidants and flavonoids, which may reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, and heart disease.
Apples are abundant right now and with so much to love about them, why not whip up this delicious, easy apple crisp?
Autumn Apple Crisp (makes 6 servings)
- 6 medium apples - peeled, cored, and sliced (Granny Smith work well)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 4 ounces chilled butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat the oven to 350.
- To make the filling: In a 9-inch pie pan that's 2 inches deep (or a similar baking pan), toss the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- To make the topping: In a medium bowl, mix together all the topping ingredients with your fingers or a pastry cutter until small pebbly pieces of butter are distributed throughout the mixture.
- Sprinkle the entire mixture over the apples.
- Bake until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling and tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- For an extra treat, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You may never have thought about it, but funeral etiquette extends to the procession. Even if you have never participated in one, chances are you have seen a funeral procession—also known as a co...
Food is connected to many human emotions. For instance, it can be a source of comfort, a reward, or a guilty pleasure. Scientists have long studied how what we put in our mouths affects our minds....
Funerals can be particularly challenging for those who have been asked to deliver a eulogy. This moving speech serves as a personal tribute to the departed, summing up the key events of their lif...
It’s not uncommon for family disagreements to arise following the passing of a loved one. Heightened emotions can lead to arguments as bereaved family members navigate through their grief. And if...
Generally speaking, men tend to overlook their health more than women do. Research also shows that men are more likely to smoke, drink too much alcohol, and bury their emotions. They tend to enga...
This month, we take the time to honor our Veterans and their heroic contribution to America, a free nation. During the COVID-19 Pandemic, veterans have been hit hard with heightened health and eco...
Choosing a person to officiate the funeral ceremony for a departed family member is a critically important decision. Because they will be the voice honoring your loved one, you should select an i...
When it comes to selecting a funeral provider, do you know what to look for? There are many funeral homes to choose from, and it can be difficult to determine which is the best for your needs. By ...
Tales of eternal youth have been around for thousands of years. While the Fountain of Youth may only exist in folklore, the possibility of living longer has become a reality thanks to advances in...
Selecting a cemetery property for yourself or a loved one requires careful thought. It’s wise to enter the process armed with as much information as possible so you can make the best decision for...